browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.


Posted by on January 30, 2021

I was trying to find some photos to post but I realised I didn’t take that many photos, and after reading this story, you’ll know why.

Owen Fong | 27.01.21

On Wednesday, 27th Jan, I was 36 weeks and 5 days pregnant. In the morning at about 5 am, I woke up to use the toilet, and realised that I have lost my mucus plug, aka, had the bloody show. I was excited but thought no biggie because last time I also had it at around 37 weeks and nothing happened after that for 3 more weeks. So I went back to bed to cuddle with my boy. But I couldn’t really sleep. For some reason I was quite excited about it and started to think of the baby coming. At 7 am, I had to use the toilet again, but this time felt like I wasn’t just passing water. It felt a little strange. So I cancelled my PT appointment. Figured it was best to just stay home for a bit because I didn’t feel comfortable. I slapped a pad on and at 7.45, hubby and I sent Ollie to daycare. When we came back home, I realised my pad was already full, so I changed it. I could feel water flowing out continuously, but it was a slow flow so I decided to chill and sit down for a bit. I had a doctor’s appointment at 10 am and was prepared to leave at 9.30 am anyway. By 9 am, the pad was already full again, and at this point I know this isn’t just incontinence. My waterbag had broken.

So I told Gary, who had just finished his con call, that we really need to get going and to the emergency, because I think my water has broken and we’re most probably going to have our baby already. Gary was shocked, but he acted swiftly. Grabbed the hospital bag (thanks to MCO, had it packed early), and off we went. I walked to the emergency counter and said “Hi, my waterbag just broke”.

From here on I was admitted, given a Covid swab test, results were negative, changed into a hospital gown and sat on my hospital bed in the labour room and waited. The nurse did a check and I found that I was 3 cm dilated, but the walls were still quite thick. Dr Arifah came at about 11.30 am and said we will wait and see if your contractions can start on their own, but if nothing happens by 7.30 pm this evening (12 hours since your water broke) then we would put you on the Oxytocin drip to get the ball rolling. So I hoped for things to start naturally, but they didn’t. At 8 pm they hooked me up to the IV line.

I was busy chatting with all my family and friends, while Gary was busy finishing up and handing over some work stuff. I got my parents to pick Ollie up from daycare and to take care of him for the next day or so.

At about 9 pm the contractions started to feel more intense. But bearable. By 9.30 pm they were happening every 3-4 mins and was less bearable. I asked the nurse to check dilation again, this time it was 6 cm. The contractions grew more and more intense and by 10 pm I felt like I needed to bear down already. I shouted “Nurse, come!!” And she came and checked and this time I was 8 or 9 cm so she called Dr in. They started to get ready while I writhed in pain every couple of mins. At I think 10.30 pm I was all set up to push, and so I pushed! 2 big pushes, and baby was out at 10.50 pm. No time for any painkillers (I had a shot of pethidine last time and was half awake throughout the whole thing). This time I was wide awake and felt EVERYTHING. Papa Gary was given the opportunity to cut the cord this time, he said it was tougher than he thought. When they put baby on me, the first thing I did was look to see if I have a daughter or another son 😅. Its a boy!

Lil Owen is 3.02 kg, which is a decent size for his age. He had to be in NICU for a few days because he had difficult breathing and a little jaundice. But he is progressing well and should be out by tomorrow. :)

I thought I’d add this as well. The night I delivered, Owen was taken to the nursery and we were brought back to our ward room to rest. I was high on adrenaline but also pretty sore all over, so it took me a while but I finally fell asleep sometime after 1 am. I got up at about 3.30 am feeling the urge to use the toilet, and also to change my pad which was full of blood by then. I was warned by the nurses to wake hubby up because I could be woozy from everything. So I did, and Gary stood outside the toilet door while I did my business. I remember managing to stand up and change my pad but then…blank. the next thing I opened my eyes to was me sitting on the bathroom floor, Gary holding me and shouting my name over and over and I couldn’t respond. I had fainted and hit my head on the toilet bowl. So yeah, childbirth is really no easy feat, ok, guys! There are not many things that can render me this weak 😉

Thanks everyone for all your warm wishes. I have not had both my babies with me yet, so perhaps the true fact of being a mom of 2 under 2 hasn’t quite sunk in yet. But I know its not going to be easy. Yet I cant wait to have my whole family together 💓

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *